snow

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Penny for Your Thoughts

After all my years of sheltering, Elise has learned that when you go to the bank, they give you a sucker.  Yesterday, she told me she wanted a sucker (preferably a green sour apple one). I told her that I didn't have any suckers. She replied that we should go to the bank and get one. Unfortunately, we didn't have a bank run scheduled for the day-- no checks to deposit. I told her that I didn't have to go to the bank. She accepted the answer.

When Elise woke up from her nap, she quickly went over to her dresser and picked up a dirty penny that she had found outside. She held it out to me and said, "Let's go to the bank and buy a lollipop."

While we didn't go to the bank, I did have a green sucker tucked away in a hidden drawer. I gave it to her later that afternoon when a repair guy came to talk to me. Her face lit up and said "You went to the bank! I'll have to find more money for next time." I told her that I used my Penny this time and she could keep and save her Penny.

So, that's how you teach the value of money! ...at least that's how it goes for a 3-year old!

No comments: