snow

Monday, August 25, 2014

Garden Woes

This hasn't been the best year for my garden. I wish I had more free time to devote to tending, weeding and just loving my garden but I don't. But that really only has been half the battle.

The bunnies have found our garden and boy did they love my broccoli and pepper plants. In fact, a mother bunny must have had her nest nearby because the little babies were spotted all the time around the cucumbers and in my melons.

RIP broccoli
The second obstacle I encountered was the lack of rain. It has been such a dry season for us... over 2 weeks without measurable rain. I normally would have watered during this time but we also encountered the Lake Erie algae bloom which made our water undrinkable for over two days. Forget about watering a garden with tainted water!

And finally, the babies (especially Ceci) love helping gather our produce- particularly green tomatoes.I can't fault her since she watches me pick things in the garden.. whether it be weeds or ripe produce.  The one tomato plant that I plant every year only yields only a handful of fruit and little Cecilia happened to pick them all. I'd like to say that if I just redirect them while we are playing outside, all would be well.. but it's not.  The garden is too exciting to ignore. I can't blame them. In fact, we rarely play in the courtyard now as I fear for what remains growing!

But I did make a yummy tomato tart which I passed off as tomato pizza!

No comments: