snow

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Bronchitis and Brown-chitis

Ironically the last time we had a deep freeze with windchills -40 degrees, we weren't just stuck indoors. We were stuck inside with sick kids. This time is no different! Today's high is -35 degrees windchill and the babies are getting over RSV. It's been a long week to say the least!

Last week, Hadley woke up wheezing and winded. Luckily with the cold, the schools were closed and I was able to nab our high school sitter from down the road so I could Hadley to the doctor without dragging the other girls. The diagnosis for Hadley was bronchitis from RSV. We were sent home with enough breathing treatments to last a lifetime and a round of steroids. Apparently, RSV appears as a cold for most people unless it drops into the chest... in which case it is a respiratory virus. As a preemie, Elise was given a vaccine for RSV but Hadley wasn't fortunate enough. The poor girl was miserable.

It's been a rough week for us with cabin fever. The babies still aren't feeling the best (Cecilia included) and I know that Hadley is getting another round of molars. Let's just say that there are a lot of tears and no guarantee that meals or nap times will go smoothly. I won't lie when I say these days are mentally challenging for me too. There are 3 children with 3 different needs. I keep my eyes watching the clock for bedtime countdown since there are no breaks. However, in a few more days, the girls should be feeling better and Elise should be back to school.
Cecilia fighting her RSV too.

I guess we have been talking a lot about bronchitis. Just yesterday Elise asked if I would play fairies with her. When we were playing, I asked her the name of her unicorn. She responded with 'Brown-chitis'.  What an unfortunate name.


No comments: